Pasta Without The Carbs & Sugar
Ever wish you could have your favorite Spaghetti without the carbs? Well, you can with one easy substitution, Voilà, Zucchini Pasta…
Delicious Vegetable Pasta
I can barely tell that I am not using regular flour based pasta in this dish, it was delicious. One thing I did notice is that I needed a little more fat to make me feel satisfied longer, after eating I started to feel a like I needed more food so I ate a small handful of peanuts, I think next time I will add green or black olives for added staying power…
Starchy Vegetable Pastas
Zucchini is not the only vegetable that you can use to make pasta, you can use any vegetable that will hold up to spiralizing. I want to try this using a starchy vegetable noodle next time maybe from white potato, sweet potato, butternut or some other squash.
Starches are better at sticking with you than non-starchy vegetables, maybe using a starchy vegetable might keep me full longer.
I ordered a Spiralizer a year or two back but only used it a couple of times, it works great for making vegetable noodles… If you don’t have a spiralizer you can cut your vegetables in thin strips and they should work just as well, the thinner the better.
Heating The Zucchini
To heat the zucchini noodles, I put them in a pot of boiling water with salt, for a minute or two just long enough to get them hot, I prefer eating them raw but not cold… They are so thin that they do cook. Be sure to drain them well, so that your sauce does not get watered down.
Any Recipe Will Work
You don’t have to use my recipe, any good Pasta sauce will work, I even tried making a Browned butter and garlic pasta with them and it was good too.
If you have your own recipe for Spaghetti sauce give it a try, I think you would be surprised how good it is on Zucchini or other vegetable noodles.
A Meal In One
This recipe is so full of vegetables that you really don’t need to add much to make it a complete meal, but if you like you could add a Green leaf salad with a fatty dressing… The fat in the dressing would help with the satiety of the meal… If you like Ranch Dressing I have a really good Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Recipe here….
No Flour, No Sugar & No Added Fat
If you are looking for recipes that do not have flour, sugar or added fat this one’s for you… It is easy not to add sugar or flour, but most people learn to cook in oil. I like to get my fat from foods instead of oils, so I saute the vegetables with water. If you would like to learn how to water saute you can go here to read the post.
Gluten Free Tomato Paste
I started using Bionaturae Tomato Paste because it is organic and comes in glass making it naturally BPA-Free. The good news for me is that it is also Gluten Free, not all tomato paste is if you are going gluten-free be sure to read the labels.
I made this for 2 people, it is such a large dish that we did not need anything besides the pasta for dinner.
- 442 Calories
- 32g Protein
- 22g Fat
- 13.2g Net Carbs
- 3g Fiber
- 1/2 cup water to cook the sauce, add more water if the pan gets dry
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 2-4 large garlic cloves chopped
- 3 tbsp no salt, no sugar tomato paste
- 1 or 2 tsp Italian seasonings
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 6 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 small zucchini spiralized or cut in strips
- 6 ozs cooked and drained ground beef, weigh after cooking
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop onion, garlic, and celery, put in skillet with water and saute till onion is transparent
- Add chopped tomatoes, ground beef, tomato paste and all the seasonings, except salt and pepper
- Get the water ready to heat zucchini noodles, in a sauce pan add water and some salt bring it to a boil
- While the water is heating up spiralize or cut the zucchini, keep the two zucchini separate
- One zucchini per person, I heat them separately; put one batch in the boiling water long enough to heat, and remove it, drain and put on a large plate, then do the same for the second batch of zucchini
- Taste tomato sauce and add salt and pepper to taste
- Divide the tomato sauce into two servings, top each plate of zucchini with half of the sauce
- Top with half of the parmesan cheese… Enjoy!
Let Me Know
Please if you make this recipe or have questions let me know in the comments section below, I check comments daily…