Ever Wish You Could Make Your Own Laundry Detergent?
As a Modern-Day Homesteader, there are many things you can learn to do to become more self-sufficient, making your own Laundry Detergent is one of them… It’s an easy and fun skill that will make you feel good about your contribution to the family… You can purchase most of the ingredients from your grocery store or online…
Allergies To Chemicals & Fragranced Products
Learning to make your own Laundry Detergent can help clean up your environment in more ways than one. Most commercial Laundry Detergents are full of toxic fragrance chemicals. If you have allergies or someone in your home has allergies you can remove one more source of allergens by making your own fragrance free Laundry Detergent. By removing fragranced Laundry products from your home you will be removing a source of toxins in your environment and improve air quality that can improve your life…
What Is A Detergent?
A Detergent is more than a soap, commercial Detergents are often made with synthetic petroleum chemicals that can over time become a health hazard, for you and the environment. A more natural Detergent can be made with naturally occurring mineral salts… Such as Baking Soda, Borax, Washing Soda, and True Soap.
What Are True Soaps?
True Soaps are made of natural Fats, Oils, Alkali (lye) and Water or other liquid… True Soaps are biodegradable, commercial Detergents are not…
Powder Or Liquid, Laundry Detergent?
Which do you prefer, the recipe I am giving you can be made as a Powder or as a Liquid it’s your choice… The powder will be lighter and take up less space than the liquid…
Measuring & Grating The Hardest Part
After rounding up all the ingredients the hardest part will be measuring powders and grating soap… Unless you choose to make your own toxin-free soap to use in this Laundry Detergent recipe… Then you will have a little extra work, and need a little more time but making your own Soap can be very satisfying…
Making Your Own Soap
Would you like to make your own True Soap? I like to use 100% Coconut Oil Soap when I make Laundry Detergent. Coconut Oil Soap is more water soluble than any other type of Soap and gives Soap its sudsing ability. Using Coconut Oil Soap in Laundry Detergent makes the mix better suited to dissolving and cleaning. Here is the link to my Coconut Oil Laundry Soap.
Baking Soda & Citric Acid
All the ingredients are good at cleansing, but Baking Soda & Citric Acid are especially good for removing odors… Citric Acid is great for removing urine smells…
Free Making Full Meal Salads E-Book
Never miss a post, subscribe to receive our daily post newsletter, and get your free copy of Making Full Meal Salads E-Book, Subscribe Here.
Homemade Laundry Detergent
Powder Laundry Detergent
- 1 Cup Borax
- 1 Cup Baking Soda
- 1 Cup Citric Acid
- 1 Cup Generic Oxy Clean (only for powdered mix)
- 1 Cup Grated & Dried Bar Soap
- 1 Cup Washing Soda (Soda Ash, Wal-Mart)
- Grate soap on a tray or box lined with paper put in a safe place to dry.
- Dry grated soap for a week or two before making Laundry Detergent.
- In a blender or chopper, grind dried grated soap, make it as fine as you can get it.
- In a large plastic container with a lid measure all the ingredients, mix well.
- Use 1/8 cup Powdered Laundry Detergent per load.
- Keep container covered when not using…
Liquid Laundry Detergent
- 2 Cups Borax
- 2 Cups Baking Soda
- 2 Cups Citric Acid
- 2 Cups Grated Bar Soap
- 2 Cups Washing Soda (Soda Ash, Wal-Mart)
- 2 Gallons & 1 Quart Distilled Water
- 5 Gallon Plastic Bucket/container with lid
- 1 Large long handled plastic spoon or stirrer.
- In a large pot bring 1 Quart of distilled water to a boil, remove from heat.
- Add 2 cups grated bar soap, stir easily till dissolved.
- Once soap is dissolved add other ingredients, mix till blended/dissolved.
- Pour entire mixture into a 5-gallon bucket with lid.
- Add 2 gallons of distilled water and mix.
Once everything is mixed it is ready to use. Use 1/4 cup per load of laundry. Cover container with lid in between uses or your water will begin to evaporate. If you can dedicate a long handled plastic spoon or ladle, you can just keep it in your bucket, ready to use at any time.
Oxy Clean or generic can be used along with your laundry detergent to boost whitening power. Add only to the washing machine, not to your liquid laundry detergent. Oxy Clean is a powder hydrogen peroxide, and will react with liquid laundry detergent in the bucket. Mine puffed up and spilled out all over the laundry room floor.
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to hear what you think about How To Make Laundry Detergent, please leave me a comment below. Thank you for stopping by. 🙂