Everyone Should Know How To Make The Ultimate Liquid Soap Base
Everyone should know how to make a great liquid soap base. When you know how you can throw out all the other toxic laden chemical soaps that you have been forced to use.
A Base For Making Everyday Home & Personal Care Products
When you learn to make this Liquid Soap you will have a base for making soothing liquid Bath Soaps, hard working Hand Soaps, Dish Washing Liquids & everyday Laundry stain pretreat. You could even use this liquid soap base to make a non-toxic emulsifying soap that doubles as a Shaving Cream and makes a great base for Sugar and Salt Scrubs.
Making The Soap Is Easy
It is not hard to make Liquid Soap, but it is not a basic soap making process. Cold process soap making is usually where soap makers begin, but if you are willing to do the work, read the directions and follow the steps you should not have any trouble making Coconut Castile Liquid Soap Base.
Safety Is Priority One
When making Liquid Soap or any soap that contains a caustic chemical, safety needs to be your first priority. Potassium hydroxide (lye) can be hazardous to your health if handled carelessly, you need to wear proper safety gear and protective clothing. You need to consider who needs protection and how you can protect them, from spouses to children to pets. To learn what is required, I have written a whole post on Safety, that you can find here.
Liquid Soap Making Steps
Like I said making Liquid Soap is not hard, but requires following instructions with many steps. I have included photos of the most important steps for making Liquid Soap here. But for all the steps, check out our Liquid Soap Making tutorial, it is a must for new soap makers or soap makers who have not made liquid soap before. I recommend that you read through it as well as this post to get a feel for what is required, you can find the Liquid Soap Making Tutorial here.
When You Have A Basic Liquid Soap Base
You have a Liquid Soap base that can be turned into many different products. I found a great recipe for making Shaving Cream, it has only 3 ingredients; Liquid Soap Base, Baking Soda, and Water, the recipe makes the most luxurious Shaving Cream. As good or better than any commercial shaving cream product that I have tried. Of course, I made mine unscented but if you wanted you could add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to spice it up.
Take A Basic Liquid Soap Base And Customize It
A basic Liquid Soap base would give you the freedom to customize your own Liquid Soap recipes. Without the distraction of an already scented product, you are free to add any aroma profile that you like. If you need more moisture you could add your favorite oils, you are not stuck with the cheap ingredients that some manufacturer has chosen for you. Basically what I am trying to say is you can create your own personal products, make them organic, make them scented or not, add special ingredients, whatever you want. Finally, Soap Freedom, is that a thing? lol.
Another Soap Base Makes Two
All you need is one other soap base, A Great Rebatch Soap Base. Just like Liquid Soap Base, Rebatch Bar soap is designed to be hand milled or rebatched into something new. You can rebatch it into any kind of bar soap you like, or need. Well almost you can’t remove what is already in it, but you can add to it. The recipe has been formulated to work well when milling and rebatching bar soap.
Keep Your Eyes Peeled
I have several posts in the works that will help you create & customize several different Bath & Body Products using Coconut Oil Liquid Soap Base, I plan to have them out in the next few weeks keep your eyes open.
Free Cold Process Soap Making E-Book
Never miss a post, subscribe to receive our daily post newsletter, and get your free copy of Cold Process Soap Making E-Book Subscribe Here.
Coconut Castile Liquid Soap Base
- 32 oz. Coconut Oil
- 24 oz. Distilled Water
- 7.7 oz. Potassium Hydroxide (KOH/LYE)
Vinegar, Paper Towels, Old Towels or Rags.
Goggles, Gloves, Vapor Breathing Mask, Socks & Shoes.
- Large Stainless Steel Cooking Pot with lid
- 1 Gallon Heat Resistant Plastic Bucket with lid
- Container for weighing Lye
- Heat Resistant Spatula
- 1 Gallon container for finished soap, I like to use the empty distilled water container.
- Food or Postal Scale
- Weigh the coconut oil into a large stainless steel cooking pot. Place the pot on the stove and melt the coconut oil.
- Weigh the distilled water, and pour into a 1-gallon heat resistant bucket.
- Put on safety gear, goggles, gloves & vapor breathing mask,
- Weigh the potassium hydroxide (lye) and pour the lye into the plastic bucket with water, stir and cover bucket with lid.
- When coconut oil is melted, carefully add the lye to the stainless steel bucket of oil. !!!Slowly & carefully!!!
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- With the immersion blender mix oil and lye water till it becomes a batter, and is solid enough to hold a tracing on the surface.
- When the soap batter has traced, scrap all batter off the inside of the pot.
- With a damp paper towel wipe down the inside surfaces of the pot as low as you can to remove any soap that could brown and discolor the finished product.
- Cover and place pot of soap in the preheated oven set a timer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes remove soap pot, and stir down the batter, wipe the sides down again, cover and put the pot back into the oven, set the timer for another 30 minutes.
- You can increase the oven temperature to 350 and cook for a total of 6 hours. Checking every hour stirring it down, and wiping down the insides to keep any soap from browning.
- The soap is down when it has cooked for 6 hours and has reached a vaseline like appearance.
- Now is the time to dilute the paste. Scrap down the sides, and with a clean wet paper wipe the inside of the soap pot down to remove any discolored soap paste.
- In another large pot heat, 70 weighed ozs. Of distilled water, and bring to a boil, add boiling water to the pot with liquid soap paste.
- Cover and put the pot of soap paste back in the oven, and turn off heat.
- Leave overnight to dissolve, in the morning the soap should have dissolved. If you see clumps of undissolved soap stir the pot, cover and put back in the oven, turn heat up to 350 and cook for another hour to see if that makes a difference, if not.
- Heat another 10 weighed oz. Distilled water, bringing your total to 80 ozs. Exactly how much it took me to dissolve this recipe. Put back in the oven at 350 for another hour.
- Is the soap dissolved? A few very small clumps will probably continue to dissolve over time, if they are small enough to pass through the opening of the container you plan to store your soap in using a funnel if you need to pour the liquid soap into the container. It will probably keep dissolving; it might take a few days to few weeks.
Coconut Castile Liquid Soap Base is a very basic liquid soap. It makes a Great Liquid Soap base that can be used to make, Homemade Shaving Cream, Emulsified Sugar & Salt Scrub, Kitchen Cleaning & Dish Washing Liquid, or even a spot treatment for laundry. I bet you will think of even more ways to use it.
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to hear what you think about, How To Make The Ultimate Liquid Soap Base. Please leave me a comment or question below… Thank you for visiting… 🙂