Real Shaving Cream That You Can Make At Home
If you have regular baking soda & real liquid soap, not a detergent but soap. You can make the most luxurious shaving cream that is as good as any commercial store bought brand.
How To Make The Ultimate Shaving Cream
Isn’t Is Pretty
I love the look of the white cream… I almost want to eat it (whipped cream). In addition to Liquid Castile Soap & Baking Soda, you will also need an immersion blender, I like to use Kitchen Aid. And a big stainless steel cooking pot, maybe you could get by without it being stainless steel but, stainless steel would be my first choice. I would not use Aluminum, it could degrade from the ingredients, lye soap eats aluminum.
Liquid Coconut Oil Base Soap
Since I know how to make liquid soap I thought it would be a good time to create a Liquid Soap Base, and decided on 100% coconut oil. The reason for using Coconut oil is because coconut oil soap is more water soluble and is sudsier than any other oil used to make soap… Coconut oil soap will suds in salty water and most soaps won’t. I though a coconut oil liquid soap base would be adaptable to many recipes that require soap or liquid soap as a base and I still do.
You Don’t Have To Make Your Own Liquid Soap
I tried this with Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Castile Soap, it works really well, and it is true soap.
Measure The Ingredients
Measure & Mix Every Thing Together
Measure Water, Soap & Baking Soda into the large pot, and mix it all together.
Cook The Mixture
Now start to cook the mixture on medium heat, stirring the whole time. When it starts to bubble and rise, keep stirring, remove the pot from the heat if it looks like it will boil out of the pot. When suds have boiled to the top of pot remove and let everything cool. When it has cooled stir mixture, do not scrape down the sides, it will make the shaving cream grainy, mix any standing water back into the batter.
A Second Cook
I have found that mixture responds well to a second cook, it does not rise as high as the first cook and it cooks off any left over water in the batter. So put it back on the stove and cook it till it quits rising, then let it cool again. I already mentioned this but do not scrape the grainy stuff on the sides of the pot into your batter… Ask me how I know?
Whip The Batter
After the second cook and the batter has cooled, stir it up, get out your immersion blender, and a 1-quart canning jar. Fill the canning jar 1/2 full with the shaving cream batter, and blend it in an up and down motion till the batter looks like Shaving Cream.
Fill One Or Two Cute Little Jars
I got the cutest, well at least I think so Ball Elite Canning Jars,,, 4 jars were under 5.00 from Wally Mart, I found them here too. You can see them in the photo below… I am planning to add these to a Gift Basket that Shelle of Preparedness Mama and I are going to giveaway soon…
Keep Your Eyes Peeled
I have several posts in the works that will help you create & customize several different Bath & Body Products using Coconut Oil Liquid Soap Base, I plan to have them out in the next few weeks keep your eyes open.
Free Cold Process Soap Making E-Book
Never miss a post, subscribe to receive our daily post newsletter, and get your free copy of Cold Process Soap Making E-Book Subscribe Here.
Watch The Video
It is a little slow but you will get a good idea of how this recipe works by watching the video…
The Ultimate Shaving Cream
- 3/4 cup Coconut Castile Liquid Soap Base or 1 cup Dr. Bronners
- 1-1/2 cup Distilled Water
- 3/4 cup baking Soda
Paper towels or clean washcloth & towel
- Large stainless steel cooking pot
- Measuring cup or cups
- Immersion blender
- Quart canning jar
- Measure all the ingredients, and add them to the pot, stir well and put the pot on the stove
- Cook until bubbles reach the top of the pot or they stop growing.
- Remove the pot from heat and let it cool.
- When it has cooled and the bubbles are gone, stir the batter well incorporating all the liquids.
- Place pot back on the stove and cook a second time.
- It will not rise as much as the first time when it stops growing remove pot from the stove stir and set aside to cool.
- When cool stir the batter but do not scrape the sides down, I think scraping the sides makes the cream more scratchy.
- Scrape the batter off the bottom of the pot and fill the canning jar, one batch should fit in the jar.
- With the immersion blender inside the canning jar, blend in up and down strokes until batter is fully whipped. When done It will have the consistency of Shaving Cream… Enjoy!
Let Me Know What You Think
I would love to hear what you think about, How To Make The Ultimate Shaving Cream. Please leave me a comment or question below… Thank you for visiting. 🙂